When I was pregnant with Ethan (now 8-years-old), I was very careful about what I ate and drank. I was careful about my exposure to second hand smoke and I was even thoughtful about avoiding fumes from paints. Like many of you, I did this because I knew that when I exposed my body to dangerous toxins – I also exposed Ethan’s developing system to the same things. I even took all caffeine out of my life (which at the time was huge because I was admittedly addicted to Dr Pepper!)
But at that time, though I was reading multiple books about a healthy pregnancy and fetus development, I was naïve; while I was careful about paint fumes and caffeine, went to each and every prenatal appointment with my OBGYN, ate a diet rich in green vegetables and took a quality multi-vitamin, I didn’t know about dangerous pesticides used on conventionally grown produce. The more I learn about these chemicals created to be neurotoxins for pests, the more I cringe. A neurotoxin is a neurotoxin, right?