Today I'm pleased to share a fun and humorous yet informative and helpful guest post from Maureen Bordelon, who, througout the month of April is sharing installments from her Autism Hat Rack about rasing a child with autism. Last week's post - The Siblings' Hat - and her first post with us, The Good Luck Hat are well worth reading if you haven't yet. I hope you enjoy reading Maureen's post today about how and why her Wonder Woman "hat" has been a vital part of her wardrobe since she became an autism Mama! Leave us a comment to let us know which part of Wonder Woman's uniform YOU most use (or could use) in your day-to-day adventures with autism. ~Leigh
THE "WONDER WOMAN HEADBAND" - Cuffs, Lasso, Boots, Airplane - It Takes the Whole Outfit!
By Maureen Bordelon
Technically, Wonder Woman wears a metal headband/crown on her head, but since I find myself transforming into Wonder Woman to play an occasional Super Hero for all 3 of our kids…it is a definite “Hat” on My Autism Hat Rack.
Wonder Woman uses her pair of indestructible bracelet cuffs, an invisible airplane, a Lasso of Truth (which forces those bound by it to tell the truth), Rockin’ Red Boots, and a Golden Headband which serves as a tiara.
Things you will need for your Wonder Woman Mama outfit in the world of Autism:
1) Indestructible Bracelet Cuffs - yes these do come in handy (and all you guys out there, get your minds out of the gutter!) These cuffs are made of indestructible gold and can deflect any bullet thrown at your child:
• Not a "bullet" will pierce your child as you will learn to wave your hands like a crazy woman deflecting glares, ignorant words, and judgmental advise.
2) The Invisible Airplane - this comes in handy both on the ground and in the air:
• When you are on an airplane and your child’s ears can’t pop, their head hurts, they need to jump or hop, he/she doesn’t understand why they can’t keep hitting the seat in front of them with the “meal-tray toy” offered to them, because it is so cool how the tray can go up & down - you will transport yourselves into your Invisible Airplane where you will apply brushing strokes, deep pressure hand squeezes,and comfort your child from pain and anxiety. You will become invisible to the 250 judgmental glares that could not even begin to understand your plight.
• You will use this plane when you are in a grocery store and your child sees a box of cookies that has been removed from their diet but they remember those yummy cookies because your child has a photographic memory…and a scream that could break glass comes from your grocery cart…you will want this plane to submerge into, as you casually, as if nothing is askew, make your way to the check out counter and buy those dang groceries you need to make dinner…you will be protected by your WW Invisible Airplane until you are out the automatic doors.
3) The Golden Lasso of Truth – This is a very powerful tool - so only use it when you want to know the Truth!
• We used this lasso to get the truth out of Jonathan’s Special Education Teacher, aides and school Principal – with the lies being told, truths of harm and negligence being covered up, violations of his education, we (because I had another amazing Wonder Woman Warrior Mom & Warrior Dad with me) used the Golden Lasso and the truth was revealed of the illegal restraint, confinement and harm done to Jonathan. No matter how terrible the truth was, I needed to know it so I could help heal Jonathan from anxieties, fears and his physical well-being knowing the trauma he dealt with.
4) The Rockin’ Red Boots – You will wear these boots while humming the song by Nancy Sinatra “These Boots are Made for Walking.”
• You will wear these boots for your school ARD Meetings to stomp out inappropriate goals and BIP tactics for your child’s Individual Education Plan (IEP).
• You will wear these boots at Autism Seminars where you will stride from one seminar to 10 other seminars soaking in the information from therapists, scientists and parents, all with their “piece of the puzzle” information and expertise.
• You will wear these boots as you testify in front of State Senate & House of Representative Committees on behalf of Autism Education Bills.
• You will wear these boots the first day you leave your child at a daycare/PPCD/preschool, because you will need their power to help you walk away as you let go of you angel’s hand and watch them smile and run into the room of children and not look back.
• You will wear these Boots while you stomp over the hurdles of Autism through the years.
5) The Red, White and Blue Corset Outfit - You will wear this to help keep your girlie figure in check as you are nurturing your family’s health and days at the gym are a memory.
The Golden Headband This is the headband you will wear as a THANK YOU from your children and family for being the best Wonder Woman Mama you can be – WEAR IT PROUD!
Maureen is a mother to three beautiful children: Gregory (17), Danielle (13) and Jonathan (11). Jonathan was officially diagnosed with severe Autism at the age of 16 months and has been home schooled since March 2010. Maureen has been active in the Autism Community since 2002 by helping create local parent support groups, advocating for parents in local school districts, organizing and speaking at Autism Events/Seminars and she has testified on behalf of Autism Education in front of the Texas State Legislation. Maureen is creating a pathway of hope to support the Autism Community and adding to her “My Autism Hat Rack” everyday.